BEFORE YOUR TATTOO
DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL.
Alcohol thins the blood and may increase pain. It can also affect the quality of your tattoo.
EAT WELL AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.
This helps regulate your blood sugar and keep you well hydrated.
EAT A BALANCED MEAL.
Low blood sugar can cause fainting or dizziness.
DO NOT TAKE PAINKILLERS.
Painkillers can inhibit your body’s natural ability to release necessary hormones and chemicals. It really wont hurt that bad.
DO NOT SMOKE MARIJUANA.
It will increase the amount of pain.
WEAR SOMETHING APPROPRIATE.
Make sure it is something you wont mind getting stained with ink. If you are getting your thigh tattooed, wear shorts or a skirt. If you are getting a tattoo on your chest or stomach, wear a button front shirt. It will be easier to tattoo the chosen area and you will be more comfortable not having to be semi-naked.
TAKE DEEP BREATHS AND RELAX.
If you are relaxed it will be an easier process for you and your artist.
AFTER YOUR TATTOO
- Remove the bandage after about 10 minutes. Don’t leave it on for more than 2 hours. When you remove the bandage, use your bare hand to wash the tattoo with mild soap. Washcloths are far too abrasive. Gently pat dry with a soft towel or paper towel. Do not re-bandage, tattoos need to breathe to heal properly.
- Lotion your tattoo with a very thin layer of fragrance free lotion every 2 to 3 hours for the first few days. We recomend using Curel©, or H2Ocean© lotion. Stay away from Neosporin© and any other petroleum based ointments, they can prevent your tattoo from healing properly.
- During healing, the top layers of skin will flake and peel off in big pieces. It may take some ink with it, don’t worry - your tattoo is not coming off. Do not pick at any scabs that may form. Your tattoo may itch but it is important not to scratch.
- Remember to ALWAYS wash your hands prior to washing or lotioning your tattoo. Don’t let other people touch your tattoo.
- Do not soak your tattoo for at least 2 weeks. That means no swimming pools, hot tubs, saunas or swimming in rivers or lakes. Showers are o.k., it is important to keep your tattoo clean.
- Make sure to always use sunscreen once your tattoo is healed. We recomend at least SPF 35 every time your tattoo will be exposed to sunlight.